Monday, February 14, 2011

A Little Island Named Chiloé

Palafitos, or stilt houses, in Castro, Chiloé

Remember Anatevka?  Okay, maybe you don't, but maybe you can picture a village, well more like a region, where the people are known far and wide for their specific traditions, food, and their rich history.  Such is the Island of Chiloé.  The people of this island, or Chilotes, are known for their customs,  their rich history as well as their vast mythology, and of course, their food.

Curanto... Pictures just can't do it justice!

Like any maritime region, Chilotes live off of seafood.  Now, if you can remember back to my eating preferences before Chile, (which probably most of you can't, really), you will probably remember that I eat practically everything.  Everything, except shellfish, crabs, and most types of fish that I haven't tried.  Guess what?  Chileans and Chilotes especially, LOVE fish, shellfish, and all of the other words that I didn't really pay attention to when we learned the food market chapter in our Spanish books.

SURPRISE!  I actually eat Shellfish now.  There's something about already being here that has made me even more adventurous, adventurous enough to do things that I even said I HATED.  While we were in Chiloé, I got to try Curanto, a HUGE PLATE of clams, mussels, pork rib, two types of Chilean potatoes, and even chicken.  My dad would have been SO proud.  Of course, that was lunch on day one.  Day two on Chiloé and a change of towns provided it's own new foods.  Food number one caused the most excitement later: RAW OYSTERS.  Paulina said that they were her favorite, so she urged me to try one with Lemon.  I told her that I would eat one if she would eat one, so we each bought one.  WHAT AN EXPERIENCE!  I didn't like it at first because I got shells in my mouth and struggled to get them out before my super strong gag reflex kicked in, but afterwards, I felt so accomplished!  (Make sure you get to see the pictures on facebook, of course (http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2072308&id=1461390133&l=a299e81d7c).



Yes, that's a raw oyster!

We also tried one of Erik Lindquist (my adviser from Messiah)'s favorite Chilean dishes: Chupe de Jaiba which was almost like a cheesy crab dip, but it really tasted like avocado dip.  Later on in the day, however, both Mr. Butto and Paulina got sick and had to throw up.  We're not really sure what it was, but they're pointing their fingers at the oysters, even though Mr. Butto has never gotten sick from one before, and they made sure to tell everyone that asked what happened that the "gringa" didn't get sick.  I guess this just proves that I have an iron stomach.

Chupe de Jaiba


Another point of Chiloé that I'd like to highlight were all of the beautiful boats.  You will, of course see these in my pictures, but I have a FASCINATION with the beautiful colors of island and sea towns.  The same thing seems to be happening with windows as a reoccurring theme for me.  Before coming, I read a book that was a collection of poems from Pablo Neruda, a chilean (in English) and pictures by a Chilean photographer called, "Windows that Open Inward."  Now, I've really been taking note of the windows.  Each one is different, specific, and personal, like you could look into the souls of the people who inhabit the house, or as if the beautiful scenery of Chile could use a window to change your soul.  Pay attention to the use of windows in my pictures.




Chiloé is also known of all of its old churches, built in the 18th century.  They are made only out of wood, no nails, even and many are being restored today.  We went to see the large one on the plaza at Castro, and then, as a highlight, we got to attend a church service in another very old church in Ancud.

Part of the Cathedral at Castro
The service was very beautiful and extra special because it included Paulina's cousin's engagement!  In Chile, when a couple decides to get engaged, they have a part in a church service.  Both the man and woman wear an engagement ring, a thin gold band which is worn on the ring finger of you right hand, and switched over to the left with a thicker gold band on their wedding day.  They exchange engagement rings in front of the whole church and promise to their fiancee that they are reserved just for that person.  How beautiful!  I also really enjoyed the pastor's message about the church being the bride of Christ and being pure for him on the day of his return.

A Picture from the Engagement Ceremony

Well, they say that Chiloé there is a lot of mythology and there are many famous characters that get blamed for many mysterious things.  I for one, only have an outsider's view, but I can say that something was afoot while we were in Chiloé.  I'll stick to calling it irony, but while we were anticipating the engagement ceremony, my Aunt Becca (the one that moved to Alaska) was getting engaged herself!  It was a very happy day for both the Chilean family that we're staying with and for us!  It was also really neat, then when we exchanged engagement customs and stories over this Valentine's Day breakfast.

2 comments:

  1. Your dad is not only proud - but wishes he was there to eat the seafood with you.

    ReplyDelete