Monday, February 7, 2011

It's only "super" if your team's playing

Wow!  What can I say about how exciting it's been to be in Wisconsin with all of the Superbowl spirit?
I suppose that's about all I can say.  Short of being there, this is the best place I could have asked to be.  I kept sharing little tidbits with Tyler, a devoted Pennsylvania Pack fan, so let me just jot down a few here:

Every Wal-Mart (and actually almost any store, Walgreen's and gas stations included) has a Pack shrine where you can find all the gear and accessories you need to show your devotion (yes, even cheeseheads sometimes).
Every news channel devotes 5-10 min per broadcast slot to covering the pre-game starting at least a week in advance.
Some restaurants close on Christmas, New Year's, and Superbowl Sunday.
It is acceptable for the church choir to wear alternating green and gold stoles on Superbowl Sunday.
You hear prayers that end in "Amen, GO PACK!" in church
The congregation is a sea of green and gold and those who didn't dress up are probably just bitter Bears fans.
Elementary school-aged kids sport paper cheseheads (a la homemade pilgrim hat) that they obviously made in school
People will actually get out of their car at the grocery store and take off their coat to reveal their Packers jersey before entering the store, despite the fact it's snowing
I saw Youtube clips like, "Teach me How to Raji," or "Feelin' so Fly Like a Cheesehead" on the news
AND I heard all the hotels in Green Bay were booked as many Wisconsinites made pilgrimage to Cheesehead Mecca to watch soak up the hometown excitement of the big game.

After my first grade vow to never cheer for a Pennsylvania team after being yanked away from Wisconsin at such a formative age, let me just say, finally watching a Wisconsin team beat a Pennsylvania team when it counted (and without Farve) AND being in Wisconsin for the celebration was PRICELESS!  People here really identify with the Packers and I'm just so pleased that they were able to pull through.

Go PACK, GO!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment